08-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #32
823BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2020 Tesla Y, 2020 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doreen
I've driven the FWD Highlander and its stability does not at all compare to driving the X5 sDrive. During hurricanes most people in South Florida aren't out driving as they have sought out shelter for safety. I have been driving RWD BMW coupes for at least 12 years in South Florida and did not once ever think to myself, "wow, I really wish I had an AWD". There is no need for me here unless I am moving to another state.
+1

In South FL, I have never had anyone question why I would have a RWD F10 535i instead of AWD. With the F10 and the F15, there are a number of similarities in their construction (albeit the F15 is taller and heavier). Also, look at all the SUVs outside the snow belt that are not 4WD/AWD as well as all of the pickups that are sold in 2WD. The one thing I have never really cared for is FWD with a heavier vehicle (ie our 2001 Highlander or our 2004 XC90). In terms of RWD with the sdrive X5, the traction is on par with the 535i and it drives great. Funny, it drives a lot like a RWD BMW... Some of the reasons we have a SUV are for the interior space, the versatility for hauling, and the ride height.
Appreciate 0