01-04-2015, 06:36 AM   #169
charles521
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 M50D

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Haha, thank you for your positive comments, my friend. Believe it or not, I've never touched any part on a car in my life until I got this BMW - it's also what led me to fiddling/working on the rest of my families' cars. You never know how handy/good you can be at something until you try. So far, it's been running flawlessly. I had a tiny hiccup where the navigation wasn't showing correctly, and this was fixed by VO Coding the HU_NBT. I also created the thread for answering people's questions to the best of my knowledge.

As far as the timing, if you follow my instructions, it should only take you max 30 minutes being the first time. After that, it should only take you 5-10 minutes because then you will have mastered how to unhook the hooks and pull the Kombi cluster out and put it back in - the factory one and the 6WB are 100% identical in terms of exterior dimensions - that's why the process is the same for removing/installing. I took 1.5 hours the first time because I was trying to capture the best pictures for each step and each part carefully in a dark garage.

The dealer will not install the 6WB for you. @wdimagineer has already explained this before in the other 6WB thread because it's not an official BMW released part for the X5 in the United States (apparently it is available in countries like Australia and Saudi Arabia for MY2015), so the service department won't really know how to work with it correctly. However, this is an OEM part, which is why it works. This is also why learning/knowing coding helps or at least talking to others on the forum that know/understand coding.

If anything, I can help anyone who installs this and guide them through the coding process if they have any difficulty. That was also the reason why I did everything in order and verified from shawnsheridan and wdimagineer each step before starting because I did not want to do anything incorrectly or mess up (the same valid concern you and everyone has).
Hi Opasha,

I am driving the 2014 X5 M50D F15.

If 6WB is available in Australia, is that mean when I get my panel it is just a simple swap with the multifunction panel rather then coding as well.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0