View Single Post
      06-19-2018, 04:01 PM   #10
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGuyX5 View Post
Just curious, question to all you X5 N63tu owners, given the cost of owenship, maintenance and performance would you purchase one again?
Absolutely. However, by that time when I can afford a new one it will be N63TU2 probably.

1. As it was shown many times N63TU is a excellent engine, quite unique in tunability - 500whp 600wtq with just a tune basically. Show me another engine that can do that. Famous j2z or N54 can only go that high after some hardware mods like downpipes, chargepipes, intecoolers etc.

2. That V8 sound after muffler delete mod is something deeply satisfying. Everytime I start my car I smile.

3. TU - upgrade that BMW did with N63TU was indeed very good! It's been 4 years and we are not seeing any issues that plagued previous generation. With previous gen. issues appeared on first year of production already. I think BMW learned a lot after various issues with N54, N63 etc. Since then they have produced almost issue free engines like N55, N63TU etc. Almost, because it's all relative - you can't compare them with some Japanese engines reliability wise.

As for maintenance: N63TU has everything same as N55 lol. The very engine you are driving. There is nothing extra in maintenance in N63TU over N55. Same oil changes, same filter changes, same spark plug changes (which according to some members are even easier to change on N63TU lol). If anything N63TU works with less load during daily driving then N55: same car, but N55 has to work a bit harder to pull X5 similarly.

Of course main purpose why I bought it - was to mod it and enjoy power it has.

So to conclude: yes, I would gladly buy it again, but I don't have money for 2 right now. I would if I could. The only engine better than N63TU is S63TU.

P.S. I previously made a mistake of buying a "weak" engine BMW. For myself I was lucky enough to see that mistake and I told myself to never again buy a weak engine BMW. So I'm good. How about you guys with 35i - do you regret not having enough power? Rhetorical question, we all know the answer lol Well, don't despair, at least you have better MPG eh?
Appreciate 3