View Single Post
      06-17-2016, 11:07 AM   #26
coolidge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_j View Post
Not really. In the most harmless form, water spots are caused by any impurities or particulates in the water that are left behind when the water evaporates (similar to what happens when you spill coffee and let it dry without wiping it up). Base coat/finish doesn't really matter since the water spot sits on top.

Some sealants/waxes might do a better job of sheeting the water off the car than others but none will prevent spots altogether. Simple physics says that no wax can prevent water from forming drops on a flat/level surface. That said, a quality wax/sealant can help prevent water spots from etching themselves into the clear (which would require a light compounding/polish to remove).

The only way to really avoid water spots is to either 1.) get a water filter or use distilled water to wash/rinse your car, or 2.) completely dry the car before the water has a chance to evaporate on its own (this is one of the reasons that it's generally better to wash your car outside of direct sunlight and/or when it's really hot outside).
True the salts and minerals will remain after the water drop evaporates I guess I was thinking about a wax or sealant that would prevent it from etching into the clear coat and/or keeping those deposits from sticking e.g. allowing you to wash them off.

I'm not talking about your average water spots. My brother was visiting recently and decided to wash his brand new Nissan HD diesel truck. I warned him about water spots but he waved off my warning. Afterwards he was out there trying to scrub them off all his glass with some spray can stuff. He said damn you weren't kidding. He managed to remove about 90% of them.
Appreciate 0