06-02-2017, 11:23 AM   #23
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kry226 View Post
- the HVAC seemed to work well, but it took a long time to cool the car down.
- the "screen" for the panoramic sunroof. Most cars have a solid sunroof screen, but the Q7's is translucent and thin and does little to keep the heat out. You can actually see the sunlight through the pores in the screen.
Could these two be related? Sun getting in, therefore A/C not being able to keep up with the sun and the heat from the sunroof glass? I know the glass makes a huge difference because on hot day the cabin gets hotter even I am in a shade (under parking lot, garage etc) the moment I open the solid screen on my X5's sunroof. The glass retains terrible heat, just like the windshield. X5 will also struggle with A/C because you are constantly getting heat into cabin through windshield if solid screen is open.

I asked Q7 owners about the perforated screen, and they said they didn't mind. Maybe they don't get 100F temperatures where they live, but this would seriously bother me. I wish Audi at least gave an option for a solid screen. Any idea why they went with this? Were they worried it would get wrinkles or crumple up if it was snagged or something, since the roof is practically all glass. I like the interior nice, dim and calm, plus solid roof hides the few pieces of sand/dirt I may have on the floor.. Helps keep the vacuum cleaner away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kry226 View Post
- Some of the tech "options". Some of the menus in the virtual cockpit didn't seem very well thought out. I asked myself a couple of times, "That's it?" I could say the same for the entertainment/Nav screen in the center dash. Navigating through the music folders on my USB flash drive wasn't easy with the virtual cockpit either. I had to transition back to the main center screen and navigate the folders from there.
- In dynamic mode, the ZF transmission seemed a little clunky, particularly when needing to slow momentarily for traffic and then quickly speed back up (typical autobahn). It seems confused a little about which gear to pick.
- While I love heated seats, they didn't seem to get as warm as I would have liked, or what I'm used to. Same for the heated steering wheel.

The transmission, did you try the pedal shifters? How quickly do they downshift, because going from E70 to F15, I couldn't believe how gappy the transmission was when you downshift manually. It's a shame, when you are going down the highway and you want to downshift taking turns with engine breaking, BMW tranny feels like slipping, it doesn't rally slip but it feels like it stays in neutral way longer than it should. Forget about dropping from M/S 7 to M/S 4.. You better keep your foot on brake because it will actually speed up a little before it slows down.

I got used to clunky heated steering wheels of german vehicles, why do they do that? BMW's is one of the worst I've seen, though. I can't imagine Q7s being worse.

Thanks so much for the great feedback on Q7, I am sure a lot of people will appreciate it.