View Single Post
      01-09-2024, 09:12 PM   #1
NYAWE60
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Turbo 6 speed

Shopping F15 X5 Market (and backstory)

Hi Guys (and Gals), its been quite some time since I last posted on Bimmerpost. But I'm back now and glad to be here. The past few years I was busy setting up a new business, managing my career, moving to a new house, renovating it and with my kids getting older, I became involved in their weekend sports and activities. Lets just say life took over.

Up until recently I had an E70 X5M, it was a two owner vehicle (I was the second owner). I purchased it from a wealthy portfolio manager that I worked with. It with 65K miles on it. He only serviced the car at BMW and was a gearhead, he spared no expenses maintaining it. The car came with a binder of receipts and preventative labor work. Truth be told, I enjoyed driving it just as much as my 997TT. The fact that something so big, could be so agile and sporty was just amazingly satisfying every time I got behind the wheel. After 3 years, it decided to grenade on me overnight (little did I know). I had it worked on for about 2 months and after about $8000 between an indy and BMW of Mamaroneck (those scum bags - thats a story for another day), I decided to throw in the towel.

Well its been about 8 months without my X5M and I miss her dearly. I want to get another but the E70 X5M platform is too old and the F85 X5M platform is a bit out of budget. So that leads me to my dilemma. I really want another V8 X5, preferably an xDrive50i 2016+ model but my budget cap is $25,000. I know that's doable but I hear all kinds of horror stories about the N63tu motor. I thought it was supposed to be better than the 2011-2013 N63 but apparently its almost as faulty.

I'd be ok with purchasing an extended warranty to give me peace of mind. There's just something thats captivating about the burliness and character of the twin turbo V8 motor. I've driven practically every sport SUV (GLE63, Cayenne Turbo, Jeep GC SRT8) but none of them are packaged as well or perform or have the steering feel of the X5.

The opinions and replies on this thread will weigh heavily on my decision as it will come with credibility of owners in the community with real world experience.

Should I go for the xDrive50i or am I making a huge mistake? Would it be wiser to go for an xDrive35i instead and do a bolt on tune since the N55 is a simpler and more reliable motor to work on? I'll miss the V8 sound, but I also need the vehicle to be reliable as it'll be used primarily when I'm with my family. My philosophy with my E70 X5M was to be prepared to spend about $5000 on maintenance and upkeep annually. I'd be following that same thing thing time around. Key features I'm looking for will be M-Sport package, multiway comfort seats (BMW is the best in the business at this IMO), full pano roof, HUD, HK sound system, full leather, 20" wheels and good history.

Thanks a million in advance, I truly mean that. I look forward to joining this rewarding community and being a part of the X5 gang again.
2010 Toyota Prius - stealth mobile 140K miles since new and still 45 MPG
2017 Lexus GX460 - (gone) - easily one of the most reliable cars I?ve ever owned
2014 328i xDrive M-Sport - 270 WHP w/JB4 (gone)
2010 BMW 535i RWD - 400 WHP (gone)
1992 R32 Nissan Skyline GTR 500 WHP (gone)
1993 Toyota Supra TT 6 speed - 500 WHP (gone)

Last edited by NYAWE60; 01-09-2024 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 2
jiggz2145.50