View Single Post
      04-07-2015, 04:02 PM   #41
jhb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 40i

I just completed this hitch install myself. It took me a while because I was very hesitant to pull at the clips as hard as is required. I had two issues:
1. I removed the right tail light assembly with no issue. I applied some force to the light and it slid out. On the left side, I had to apply a bit more force and the light jumped out of the clips. I had unplugged it first, so it slammed down on the concrete and the black cover broke off. It is held on to the light with three clips, and all three broke. At least it did not crack or scratch the lens. Glad the kids were at school as there was an audible expletive echoing down the street! Upon reassembly, it appears to be held in place without the clips, but I may have to order a new cover anyway. My advice is perhaps to leave it plugged in and unplug after it is removed, and/or be more careful.

2. The round 7 pin plug assembly was different on my kit than the one pictured here. The good news is I did not have to do any cutting of the fascia. The bad news is the plug body is a tight fit between the hitch cross bar and a small electrical box connected to the body. I called invisi-hitch, and the tech said it was an antenna. The plug body does fit, but it is snug. The tech confirmed this and said that is just how they do it.

The electrical was straight forward but a bit unnerving. No place in the instruction did it say to disconnect the battery and that made me nervous, but all seems well with the car. I still have to program it, and invisi-hitch included the cable, which is nice. I just have to schedule some time and they will do it over the phone with me.

It took me about 6 hours, but I was very careful and checked everything twice.
2006 x5 4.4
2000 528i: 1989 525i: 1986 528e
Appreciate 0