View Single Post
      11-12-2017, 09:32 PM   #19
ergoyo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

My 2014 msports wheel was shiny as a sausage, and it was driving me crazy.
Read up many threads on how to return to matte, or at least try to, whether it was the Leatherique sun bake option, Leather Masters series of lotions, magic eraser, steam, or hot wet terry towel scrubs, everything.
Decided the leather masters way, starting with its aerosol degreaser (which almost sent me to the ER from inhaling fumes), strong leather cleaner, vital and conditioner. Really, none of this did anything. At the end, the shine had gone just a tad away, but I could start seeing color deterioration in the leather.
Out of desperation, tried magic eraser considering the mixed reviews everywhere, this smoothed the deterioration but killed the dye. And note, I did the eraser passes super soft and smooth. This is definitely not an option either.
Very frustrated now. My wheel looks like crap, and don't think there's a cure for it now, other than tossing it. It could be that sausage looking as it was, the leather was already shot, and nothing could be done. Too much oily hands and who knows what else from the previous owner (I just bought the car this year).
Thought about buying a replacement barebones msports wheel from ebay, etc., but then is it true all my components, buttons, airbag module, etc., transfers over?

Last edited by ergoyo; 11-12-2017 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0