View Single Post
      08-29-2017, 10:51 AM   #67
atam1980
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyrom View Post
Unless you have something against Mayweather in particular, we have already seen the battle.

The octagon has allowed for boxers to enter since its inception. It has allowed us to determine which is the best martial arts when there are next to no rules.
Brazilian Jujitsu is king. End of story.

There is no “what ifs”.

I just hope for boxing’s sake, this is the end of the debate
I think it's obvious Floyd wouldn't last a round in an mma cage. I think what guys like Cody No Love and Conor have shown is that you can win in the cage with excellent boxing and decent takedown defense. But you're right, pure BJJ beats pure boxing in a combat with no rules pretty much every time. And this is coming from a boxer.

Floyd coming forward and pressuring Conor wasn't purely because he wanted to make the fight entertaining. It was actually the smartest strategy for him.

There's a vital element of boxing that MMA fighters lack completely, which is ward/gatti-type phone booth fighting. MMA fighters have zero experience with it because any time they're that close, they'll grapple and take it to the ground. Instead of moving forward INTO Floyd and smothering his punches, he kept backing up to maintain distance. Nothing saps your energy more than backpedaling for 12 rounds and throwing futile punches into your opponent's high guard.
Appreciate 0