shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Makes sense, thus the different numbers changing from _024 to _025 to _026. I guess it really is specific to what the actual CAFD file number is for it to align.

So here's my question for you. Let's say, as you explained before, that we go for service for an oil change and nothing is wrong with the car at all. However, since they tend to do that "routine forced software check/update," can you revert back (the same way you revert backward on Android software from 4.4 to 4.3) to the previous CAFD? Or is it going to be permanently stuck in the vehicle software (thus misalignment as you described) and only way for it to be read would be to use the exact same CAFD that is already updated within vehicle's new Ilevel? I'm guessing the latter is like how iPhones, once upgraded with their latest firmware, can never be reverted back.

To summarize: So whenever dealer updates your car, it's a permanent CAFD replacement, and the only way is to align the computer coding to that new update rather than replace it?
In some cases you would be able to inject older CAFD into the ECU that received the new firmware. In that case, you could of course restore backed up .ncd data to it. As long as the backed up data is being restored to the same CAFD version from which it was backed up, it is not an issue. In other cases, you cannot inject older CAFD, and ECU firmware would have to be flash downgraded to use older CAFD.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 2