05-01-2016, 10:06 AM   #84
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M; E90 M3 ZCP; M4 GTS

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
I took the knee bolster challenge. It was necessitated, in my opinion, after changing out the trim to carbon fiber, where there are no corresponding center console pieces. Due to availability, I went with the X5M nappa/gray stitching combo. The napa actually works really well with the leather dash, and I'd go as far as to say I actually prefer it even though the seats/armrest are dakota. If I didn't have a leather dash, I'd say X6 dakota would be the obvious choice...but zero regrets on this front. With regards to stitching, I would prefer black...but it's the wife's car, and she loves how the gray provides an accent and pulls from the carbon fiber and requested I leave as-is. I was intending to do the "sharpie" dye you'll find on youtube...pretty easy if you want these pieces and want black stitching. Both attributes are subjective, but I really like how it turned out.

Install is pretty straightforward, but I found the passenger side to be a lot more difficult when installing the knee bolsters. I ended up pulling away the trim below it (also held in by clips) and it gave me just enough room to manipulate and get the bolster in place.