Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixMike View Post
The flash is always safer (pending of course the flash is setup for your correct octane and vehicle/mods, but then using the incorrect flash doesn't really equate, so use a reputable company for the flash)... you can exceed maximums with a piggy back just the same, if not much easier as its user controlled, however piggy backs typically dont pull timing as needed for the extra boost, which is how pistons kick the bucket most of the time. Ive never had a knock issue with a flash tune, where as I often hear it with piggy backs, and sadly most dont know what to listen for, nor that often they are setup for 93 octane and not 91.

that doesn't make it any more or less safe, that is just a byproduct of a tune. Just as they can see the "digital footprint", they can also see parameters exceeded from using a piggy back. Six one, half dozen other...

Thats just silly. The ESS tunes automatically adjust for octane, so when you use race fuel or pump, it will add or subtract timing as needed. The piggy backs cannot do that, so you will have to manually increase for better fuel at the track, and manually decrease on the street for octane. Ive run E85 in most of my cars (injectors permitting) with the ESS flash as well, and it picks up power every time.

that isn't a good thing at all. Limp mode MAY save you from detonation or a catastrophic failure if youre lucky, or it may permanently cause failures at which your dealer won't cover, even if you remove the piggy back. There is no "safe" limit to what a piggy back does... If you believe you can't blow a BMW up with a piggy back, ive got some ocean front property here in New Mexico to sell you.

Ive worked with a few engineers at various aftermarket companies... most piggy backs are built with the cheapest of components using old technology to cut costs. While I won't disclose the companies involved in the testing, I can tell you that I wouldnt trust many of those devices on my vehicle due to the cheap components inside, and as many have seen on here, failures of them and damage caused to factory components (no names to be mentioned, but im sure there are plenty of threads on here).
I was glad to find this thread because I was going to post my own talking about the safety of tuning our 50i's. I just put the BM3 stage 1 91 on mine and I like it but don't want to hurt my baby. There's a couple of posts on this forum..

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1665231&page=2

discussing the risks associated with too much torque but I didn't want to jack that thread to continue the topic. Do you think Flash tunes put us at risk for these failures?
Appreciate 0