10-31-2016, 10:29 PM   #19
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckerine View Post
What specifically do you think makes iDrive nav "far better" than Apple Maps, other than the offline availability. Constant internet connectivity is not really an issue in this day and age in most metropolises. If I had one complaint about Apple Maps in CarPlay, it'd be that it's difficult to zoom in and out. But, other than that, it works well. And asking Siri to get directions to some random store all works so seamlessly.
Don't get me wrong, I really like Apple Maps on my Phone and I can see it being far superior in most cars to whatever 'junk' the auto industry passes off as navigation these days. But compared to iDrive, I much prefer the iDrive system.

Much faster load times, zooming, etc. This is partially due to offline maps. Even with full LTE bars it still isn't very smooth/fluid in loading the map with Apple CarPlay

Better integration with the HUD

Real-time traffic re-routing

Multi-destination

For whatever reason, Apple Maps defaults to a full view of the USA instead of zoomed in on my location (possibly just a bug?)

Better points of interest display (charge stations, fuel, etc)

Full screen display. This maybe just an option I can't find but Apple CarPlay does not display across the full screen, the right split screen area is left unused. iDrive does use up the full screen for map when the spit screen view isn't open.
2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015
Appreciate 0