Thread: X5 25D reviews?
View Single Post
      05-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #38
MJF120
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 25D

I took delivery 2 months ago and have put about 1500 miles on the clock.

I do a fair bit off city driving and I'm finding on my 4 mile commute to work, with an average speed of about 10 mph or less I can get about 25mpg+. On motorway runs with 4 people in the car it nudges 40mpg but slips back to high 30's once you compete the non-motorway stretch at either end of the journey. I drive in comfort mode with start/stop switched off.

I suspect in eco pro mode, with just a driver in the car and at 50mph you may nudge into the high 40's but I haven't tried that.

Sports mode is fun, manual shifting seems pointless and eco pro mode is dull, IMHO.

Overall I think those figures are inline with my expectations. I think for my city commute the 25d is the perfect engine because in start stop traffic you don't need power and you're using neither of the turbos so it's efficient. I think if you're out on open roads you push the engine a lot more and in those circumstances I suspect the 3.0 would be as efficient.

Regarding ride quality, I'm on standard suspension although I think the 3rd row seating adds rear air suspension (don't know how to tell if I actually have this!?) and I think it's fine. In the city it eats up the bumps although you can't fling it over speed bumps like I could my E61 (it gets a bit bouncy). Out of the city it's very comfortable. If I'd wanted sporty I'd have paid for some suspension upgrades but for me the car is about keeping me happy whilst accommodating the wife, kids and and all their associated junk.
Appreciate 0