View Single Post
      09-30-2017, 02:49 PM   #9
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp View Post
We don't really have petrol options for the X5 in the UK, but considering the performance and economy from a diesel, I wouldn't choose a petrol engine. I have a 30D and it accelerates from 0-60MPH in 6.7 seconds and returns 32 UK MPG around town. I am even considering an upgrade to a 40D as the 0-60 comes down to 5.9 seconds with very little economy loss. The downside is the fact that the 'green' lobby are anti diesel as they don't understand that there are clean diesels such as those produced by BMW - particularly those that have the Adblue system.
I don't think they don't understand it. I think there's more to that. I think there are issues with diesels - not necessarily related to BMW per se, but there are issues. I love diesels for their economy, but they are not inherently cleanest engines and under certain circumstances they do pollute. Not all owners do a proper maintenance - that's just for starters. Not all owners plan to keep it stock (don't want to open a can of worms here, but I hope you understand what I'm talking about and what kind of pollution such modded engines can have). Then there's a diesel fuel manufacturing issues - another story. Anyway, my point is that "lobby" people aren't all idiots
Appreciate 0