03-09-2017, 02:43 PM   #17
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterKBMW View Post
A significant amount of those numbers are swayed by retired service loaners that are sold. When a car is put into loaner fleet, it is registered to the dealership. When the dealership sells the car, the purchaser is actually shown on carfax as the 2nd owner. thus the results seen here.
That's my thought as well. There's a big difference between a demo and a loaner -- a demo can still be sold as a new car if it's got low-enough miles, and IIRC it does not necessarily have to be registered if it never leaves the dealership without a dealership rep in possession of it. Loaner sales would explain the specific BMW models on this list to a T, as well.

I'm willing to bet that broken leases are part of this, too -- but remember that this is a percentage of specific model sales. BMW sells far fewer 3 Series than, say, Chrysler sells 200s or Nissan sells Versas.

Bottom line: This is a typical list posted as click-bait by an editor/blogger/doofus without a proper understanding of the context of the statistics used.
Appreciate 1
Ric in RVA1468.50