Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
You should read the opinons from SCOTUS.

Specifically from Justice Thomas. The baker offered to sell the couple a cake in the case inlieu of designing one. I myself was not aware of the distinction until I read the opinions.

J. Thomas said, paraphrasing here, that to custom design a cake was a form of art by the baker and artwork is considered expressive speech which is protected by the 1st Amend.
All good points you raise for certain. I think where everything hinges, was going back to the Colorado law which prohibits "service" to anyone based on religion, sex, etc. Though not certain, I think "service" would include the creation of the design and sale, etc.

In any case, what I found out, and which I didn't know before, was that this baker had previously denied "service" to same sex couples in the past because of his religious beliefs but made a cake for the marriage of two dogs!!! I won't go there!

Marie-Antoinette, I think, said it best: "let them eat cake".
IIRC the comission in Colorado allowed businesses to deny service to some extremist groups which created a problem in addition to the comissions overall contempt of religion in general.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0