Rep
Drives: X5 30d MSport and X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu001939
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopas View Post
Hands free doesn't work for me, it starts warning about 10 seconds after I take off my hand ... then it turns off.

So I would not count on it, working without hands.
Confirmed this is correct. It flashes the steering wheel sign after a few seconds hands free, then deactivates with a message to keep hands on the steering wheel.

Pretty half baked feature really, and disappointing.
Well, I tried it again today. Even filmed it with a smartphone. Will post the video later...

My car's TJA will stay on even if I don't touch the steering wheel.

Very strange, because I agree with all of you that the manual states you have to keep your hands on the steering wheel.

What it could be:

-malfunction in the steering wheel sensor (if so, I will definitely not have it repaired !)
-something in the car or around the steering wheel makes the sensor think you are touching the wheel. Would have to know what the sensor actually measures ? (Heat ? Conductivity ? Proximity switch ? )
-Only in Belgium ? (Ie the feature has been turned off because it is allowed in Belgium ?)
-programming error ?
-karma ?

Any idea's ?
It has taken several weeks but I finally got an answer fron BMW

The short version: TJA is supposed to work only when you have your hands on the steering wheel and as soon as you take them off, TJA should switch off.

BMW is aware that in a number of cases, the sensitivity of the sensor in the steering wheel is such that a finger is enough, and that a few cases exist where you don't have to touch the steering wheel at all (mine ! )

As the law makes it mandatory to keep the hands on the steering wheel, BMW is evaluating what to do, ie do they need to take action for these cases, and if so, what action? One thing being examined is to increase the sensitivity of the sensor.

So I have been told to wait, and in the meantime received guarantee that it is safe to use.

My take:

-I don't want it changed ( love it in the traffic jams, it works great and you can read the newspaper ! )
-that steering sensor technology is probably not mature and they don't have an alternative
Appreciate 0