View Single Post
      01-12-2015, 07:21 PM   #60
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensM View Post
I have been driving diesel cars since 2004 - and all from new.
Brands have been Toyota (4) and since 2011 BMW (X3 F25 20D and X5 E7 30D).
I have actually on all felt the engine 'opening up' when cars passed around 10.000km. This on both the Toyotas and the BMW's. It feels like the car gains more HP - but not in the 20% level, but enough so you can feel it. I have been told that modern diesels are somehow coded to deliver less power until the engine has done some thousands (up to 10K) km, but not sure if it is a story or not.
My comment is not meant to be personal.

Why would a manufacturer possibly do that? In today's world of high horsepower car/SUV wars, what could possibly be the motivation to start low and add HP in 10k miles/km's? Mechanically speaking, nothing changes at 10k. Within 1k miles, the bearings and rings are settled, but that might give you 5 hp from reduced friction - maximum.

As for software, I assure you there is nothing that happens at some point in the future to give more HP. You could get your ECU flashed and a new/better tune could be installed, and that would make a difference.

Modern diesels are tuned to the max from day one. I have a 6.0L power stroke putting out close to 400hp and 750 lb ft of torque. That's huge and known to be tuned near 100% of it's potential from the factory. That's why so many fail - too many people push them over the limit with tunes and/or overheating. New 6.7L Powerstrokes are producing over 450 hp and over 850 lb ft of torque. In a pick up truck!

On the other hand, the US BMW diesel is de-tuned for our EPA emission laws and poor fuel quality. That's why I chipped it.