JensM
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40D 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
My comment is not meant to be personal.

Why would a manufacturer possibly do that? In today's world of high horsepower car/SUV wars, what could possibly be the motivation to start low and add HP in 10k miles/km's? Mechanically speaking, nothing changes at 10k. Within 1k miles, the bearings and rings are settled, but that might give you 5 hp from reduced friction - maximum.

As for software, I assure you there is nothing that happens at some point in the future to give more HP. You could get your ECU flashed and a new/better tune could be installed, and that would make a difference.

Modern diesels are tuned to the max from day one. I have a 6.0L power stroke putting out close to 400hp and 750 lb ft of torque. That's huge and known to be tuned near 100% of it's potential from the factory. That's why so many fail - too many people push them over the limit with tunes and/or overheating. New 6.7L Powerstrokes are producing over 450 hp and over 850 lb ft of torque. In a pick up truck!

On the other hand, the US BMW diesel is de-tuned for our EPA emission laws and poor fuel quality. That's why I chipped it.
42Pilot
? Sorry, but can not read my comment as 'an attack to your reply'

I was simply telling about my own experience - and this is an experience you will find from many diesel drivers in Europe.
I was also saying it was not in the +20% range, but it was/is enough so you can feel it. At the same km mark, most people (my self included) also see an improvement in fuel consumption with up to 15-20% extra (how to explain this?). And finally which was notable on all the 4 bangers (not the 30D), the engine sounded more smooth and less noisy - we all know the BMW 4 cyl make more 'hard' diesel noise compared to the Audi etc.

Why is it like this? I don't know - but I have heard several people (among others engineers working at Land Rover and Peugeot) claiming that this is what is happening. But as said, I do not know if this is a story or not - but I do know my own experience.

About modern diesels already tuned to the max. I am sorry, but not sure you are aware of what is going on in the car industry at the moment including BMW.
Many of the engines today are identical but with different software ending in different power. Take for example the 4 cyl BMW: Same engine whether they mark is as 1.6 - 1.8 - 2.0 (two versions) and 2.5 (forget about the US noise with 2.8). All is the SAME 2.0 engine with different software (and the 2.5 with different turbo and cooling). And I bet you - we have not seen the last, using same 2.0 but with even higher output.
Take the new VW Passat, their current top of the range is a 2.0 diesel with 240HP (last version had 170). Skoda use same engine in their new Superb (not launched yet) - same engine have 280HP. I will also bet, that the BMW 50D (3 liter) with currently 381HP will be presented with even higher power from the factory in the future.
All car manufactures are now following this down-sizing trend - smaller engines but with higher (and higher output)

So, modern diesels today are NOT at their max.
Appreciate 0