View Single Post
      02-04-2018, 12:20 AM   #1
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

Which Primes To Bring for Travel?

I'll be traveling all over Thailand and parts of Cambodia in a few weeks and plan on bringing my Canon 6D with me everywhere. I'm a prime lens user so I'd like to limit the number of lenses I bring to 2 for weight reasons and to limit the number of times I need to change lenses. Changing lenses is never fun...

This will be the first time I fly with my camera gear, albeit the first time I fly overseas in almost 15 years. I want to make sure I capture this moment through lenses I will find applicable to most situations, but also capture rare shots at unique focal lengths to differentiate my shots from the regular traveler with a $1000 camera phone.

Ranked from most frequent scenes I will photograph to less frequent are: street, food, portraits, landscapes (skylines and beaches), architecture (temples!), nature.

My current lens inventory is:

35mm f/2 IS
40mm f/2.8 STM
50mm f/1.8 STM
85mm f/1.8
135mm f/2

I've seen the 35mm do the first 3 really well, but it is mediocre at landscapes and poor for architecture. For those times I want to take a fancier portrait without losing the setting/background entirely, I'm thinking the 85mm would serve well.

Any experiences or opinions you have to share will be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0