View Single Post
      02-06-2015, 12:03 PM   #4
dromk
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-cb
Greetings all.

Certainly I cannot be the only one here who thinks BMW made a terrible decision in using chrome on the X5M "Air Breathers." Not only does the chrome look cheap and tacky, it reminds me of the Cadillac SUV and numerous other (mostly cheap) vehicles employing that look currently out there. Personally, I prefer the looks of the Air Breathers on the non-M cars a lot more than what they did to the M.

That being said, chrome AB's are no reason not to buy a sweet new X5M. My plan is to black out most of my ride, and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for how to make the AB's look better. Ideally, I'd love to see someone develop a mold and come out with a replacement set of AB's in Carbon Fiber!!!! I'd place my order now

Unfortunately, I lack the technical skills to undertake such a project and would greatly appreciate any help/guidance that anyone may have. Specifically, anyone either have plans to develop such a product or know of a company/person that has the skills, time, and inclination to undertake this project? I'm sure that I'm not the only one who will be looking to get rid of the chrome AB's ASAP. Anyone else interested? Although it would be great to find others and organize a limited production run, I'd be willing to pay for a one-off custom fabrication if that turned out to be necessary...

Alternatively, is there a way to use some sort of film (like used for car wrapping, window tinting, etc.) to transform the chrome to a smoked chrome look? Obviously I really want to go the Carbon Fiber route, but in the meantime..... I HATE CHROME!

Sorry for the long thread. I look forward to reading everyone's replies in order to gauge interest in this project. Hopefully im not the only one who thinks that the idea of Carbon Fiber Air Breathers sounds pretty darn sweet!

PS. I know that the F85 has not yet formally been released, but the sooner those of us who are interested organize and get started, the sooner we will have our CF fix!

Cheers,
2-cb
They have Official M-Performance parts coming out that are blacked out. I think it would be the best solution.
Appreciate 1