02-10-2015, 11:45 AM   #23
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
Cracked the BMW ECU? Through experimentation? Compared to Dinan who actually works with BMW, I know who I would support. Don't get me wrong - I am not promoting Dinan. I am trying to make a point comparing the two.

The link is a better discussion on the use of dyno's rather than the tune itself.

I read the post and it seems like they are an independent shop trying to crack ECU's - there are plenty of these out there. And good for them - I was one of them but using a different ECU rather than trying crack the Porsche DME/ECU. I am in Belgium a couple times a year and might stop by to see what they are doing. But I don't think they are in the same category as the other chip makers and the one tuner you already list.

Again, good job on your hard work. Maybe you'll want to add independent shops to your list for those who don't mind getting involved with experimenting.
@MattBianco post is indeed newsworthy. The encryption on the new generation of DME's has only recently been broken and that is why you see so many piggyback tunes for engines like the N63tu where the older DME's in the N63 were cracked already for an ECU tune by companies like Dinan or Dinan licensed the tools from a company that had broken the encryption.

You will start to see ECU tunes for more BMW cars as a result of this development.

On the topic of Dinan, they make fantastic, well engineered products but don't have engineering support from BMW like you imply. If they had the factory support you suggest, they would have developed ECU tunes long ago for newer models but chose to go the piggyback route instead. Outside of their racing efforts, Dinan has a warranty relationship with BMW.
Appreciate 1