View Single Post
      03-15-2015, 12:05 PM   #31
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by matowi
I find it hard to believe these strained 4-pots (313bhp form 2 liters?) will prove durable. Not to mention the acoustics they'll be producing

A big car like the x5 (or the mentioned xc90) should have a proper drivetrain. Less stressed for longer hassle-free life. To me, buying a kiosk on wheels with anything less than 6 cylinders is like making love with 3 rubbers on. You get the extra safety, but would you really sacrifice the rest?

Forget the hybrid, get a 3.0 liter diesel.
It's 313 with the electric motor. So likely the ICE not making more power than in a 328, etc.

BTW, ever see the engines they run in Europe. Don't look, you might be horrified.

In all seriousness, your point about hybrid vs diesel is apples and kumquats. Diesel isn't suited to urban driving as much as a plug in hybrid. That, and the ability to drive on electric only and avoid urban congestion charges, or exclusion zones, make a compelling business case for the hybrid. And the CO2 g/km figures are considerably lower, which is important when your taxes and registration fees are based on that.

FYI, I have a diesel SUV and love it. But for shorter trips, the plug in hybrid makes more sense. .
Appreciate 0