08-12-2017, 10:48 PM   #98
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton91 View Post
I was on a similar place a while ago. Needed a much better third row than what our X5 had. Ultimately turned in my 4 year old E70 diesel and went for a new Land Rover Discovery and so far we are loving it. Does it drive like a BMW? No. But it drives nice, is extremely comfortable, interiors and tech leave BMW way behind and it will take you anywhere, which is waking up my interest for adventuring off the beaten path in a car again.

Still a BMW junkie and I am lucky enough to have a 1M for when I need to be reminded of what it feels to drive a proper BMW, but I would fully recommend checking the LR Discovery.
Great choice, checked it today, test drove one, including sales off-road demonstration. I never thought I'd be in a vehicle tilted so much that I feel like if I moved further to the right, I would cause it to tilt and tumble over. Amazing, just amazing. Drives extremely solid, you sit up high, I could almost see the roof of other cars. I felt like going from SUV to Sedan when I went back to my X5 (I sit very low and laid back).

Strangely, lease pricing is off the chart. $65k MSRP, we were quoted $1040/mo on 36mo with 1st month + bank fees up front. What is LR thinking? He said there are no deals/discounts either. No matter what it looks like from outside, it's an amazing feeling vehicle. Congratulations, enjoy.

Oh, and it won't fit in my garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerEast View Post
Engine noise levels are OK. I think overall interior noise is similar between the two cars.

Do not by an XC 90 and expect the engine / exhaust to sound aggressive or pleasant or anything else. With the possible exception of the faint whine of the supercharger winding up, which I actually enjoy, the noises coming out of the engine are not going to be the reason you buy this car. The 6 and 8 cylinder X5s sound great at start up. The Volvo, not so much.
I am going to copy and paste my post from another thread here:

Test drove VW Atlas today, definitely drives like a truck and not an SUV, I thought I was in a Navigator minus the chrome. Low end torque is fine with this engine but noise and vibrations definitely need to be dampened. Quality is OK where you look, screen is nice, cockpit, etc is similar to what you would get from Audi and it is super spacious, especially with captains seats for 2nd row.

Lots of plastic for sure, but it's expected.

I expected much worse. The MSRP is ok, but the dealer gave me a crazily marked up lease pricing. Who would pay $700's for $53k VW? I said what's up with this, he said these are the prices, I thought it was a residual issue, not the case whopping %63! I asked if there were any discounts he would apply down the line, he said nothing. No incentives, no rebates, and that this is first year model and they won't offer anything.. Sounded a bit odd, I might try a different dealer.

So I stepped out and crossed the street and test drove XC90, it felt so much better but more cramped and much more obstructed visibility on the back, and surprisingly noisier than Atlas! Noise goes down considerably on XC90 when on 3rd gears and above. There is still a lot to like, especially very aggressive pricing and the incentives for BMW/Audi/MB owners, I think they call it Conquest Incentive. $2500 to $3500, plus Costco club deal. Much much better pricing MSRP $58k MSRP in mid $600's and $62k MSRP for $700. Not bad. Although, one negative is lack of Red R-Design XC90. Such a beautiful car but so limited.

Test drove few other vehicles today, and I can easily say that Q7 is the only true competitor to X5 at the moment (if you want 3rd row), if 3rd row is not an issue, there are plenty to choose from. Sadly Audi dealer wasn't willing to apply any kind of discounts to the Q7, non at all. He said if I want discount, I should get another X5, BMW marks up $10k and drops $7k and makes it look like a deal. He gave me a $750 discount on $64750 MSRP for $900/mo lease pricing. It does sound good considering current Audi lease MF/RV's but still high.