View Single Post
      05-09-2017, 10:26 AM   #17
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
Alan nice job on the project. Are you running only rear spacers?

Trying to figure out spacer sizing and heard several times that only a 5 and 15 fit the front and 5, 15 or 20 in the rear. No sizes in between. See that is not the case with you which gives me some hope

Did you try a bunch of different sizes and just figured out what worked? Guess it's something with the hub shoulder. Don't understand it

A 15 is perfect in the rear but need something in between a 5 and 15 in the front
Thanks man.

Not sure if any of the spacer companies changed their design for the current generation X5's but I was one of the first people that found out that we can not use spacers with a lip up front on this platform. BMW made the hub lip up front taller preventing spacers designed for the last generation X5 not sit flat on the rotor making it dangerous to use. Flat spacers without a lip is fine as long as its not too thick preventing your wheel from centering/touching the hub causing vibrations. This is why typically you can only use a 5mm spacers up front. I've tried even a 15mm up front and it still won't clear the hub. Its possible that bigger spacer would fit but then your front wheels would be sticking out way too much. I ran a 5mm up front but honestly it was barely noticable and it caused my wheels to shake slightly on the highway. I even got my wheels road force balanced with the same result. Once I removed the spacers the vibration went away. Not worth the trouble to me.

For the rears I went with the 13mm for two reasons. 1) because RAD makes extended wheel locks that can accommodate up to a 13mm spacer and 2) because 20MM was too much. I ran a 20mm spacer with my BBS wheels before and it was sticking out just too much for my liking.

Keep in mind every wheel will be different depending on the width of the wheels and the offset so what works for me might not be perfect for you.

Hope that helps.

Alan