View Single Post
      09-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #1
Blackhawks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 x35i

Painting Exhaust Tips DIY

Ok... I didn't really intend on making a DIY, so my pics are severely lacking, but I did learn quite a few things during the process. To fully understand, the end product on my exhaust tips is NOT the DIY version, rather what was done as a byproduct of the exhaust mod install.

First, I taped the inside of the tips with blue (although it looks black in the pic) painter's tape as I didn't want the matte finish to be altered.

Then, I used a fine 320 grit sandpaper to rough up the chrome finish. Turns out, this was not the best option (more to come later in the post).

After sanding, I sprayed a coat of VHT High Temp gloss black engine enamel. I waited about two hours between coats and ultimately gave 3. The following day, I followed up with 3 coats of VHT High Temp clear gloss spray following the same 2 hour window in between coats.

Upon bringing the exhaust to the shop for install, I wanted a couple things changed (don't ask why... I'm just weird). I wanted the tips recessed a bit, therefore there was a bit of welding needed. The high heat VHT spray was a great option for temps up to 500 degrees, which our tips will never see. However, it was not great for the temps created by tig welding... and my newly sprayed paint was blown to shreds. The shop said that he's seen VHT hold up really well and I did a great job with the paint, but it was unfortunately no match for the welding. So, he went and gave it an etching primer (instead of sanding... that was my only mistake) and applied the same three coats of paint and an additional of gloss.

Sorry this was a lame DIY, but I did the best I could with the limited pics that I took... hopefully it was informative to somebody...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2