Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
I wouldn't do VLD. It just makes you look like you have a burned out headlight and you really don't notice the difference.
I happen to like VLD and notice a difference with it in both my X5 (Xenon) and M4 (LED). The beam pattern is definitely wider at low speeds and moves around quite a bit. It's also great in fog when you have the fog lights on. I also wonder if the "burned out headlight" look is only when you are at low speeds and the additional light comes back on above 30MPH when the beam moves back towards center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
You just do not have the experience with the EU LED headlights. They swivel and it makes a lot of difference. Though we do not have much choice here anyway...
Ya but mine swivel as well sooooo ya don't know what to tell ya. I mean obviously sitting a US and an EU next to each other you could probably see there's a difference but at the end of the day it works nonetheless for anti glare. Plus BMW video on anti glare doesn't mention swiveling.

But Anti dazzle is definitely worth it. Use it all the time and it all works just fine on my US headlights. But for the LEDs they don't need to swivel for anti dazzle as they just selectively turn off the LEDs as the oncoming vehicle comes into view of the onboard camera.
I agree that Anti-Dazzle is worth it and a lot of fun to watch in action. I think we're splitting hairs when debating if the headlights "swivel" or "turn on/off LEDs" to make the light pattern move. At the end of the day, both VLD and Anti-Dazzle move the beam around quite a bit and work well!

We also know that all BMW adaptive headlights swivel/move. The difference is that without VLD, the low beam remains at a fixed height (as adjusted for the suspension loading/vehicle pitch) and only moves laterally with the steering wheel. With VLD, the headlights adjust beam width and height (based on the four different modes of operation listed above) in addition to moving with the steering wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggyacid View Post
Thank you, I'm going to do it next week

I see that expert mode is required to do VLD and Anti-Dazzle... any new updates? Rather not get into expert mode in case I mess anything up
Why don't you try coding each and see what you like. You can always remove one or both if you don't like it. I've never used Bimmercode, only esys. But, I don't believe expert mode is anything to be worried about. Just take your time and change only the values that the sheet tells you to change and you'll be fine.
Ya all the LEDs come back on once above 30. I just hate pulling into parking spots and seeing my reflection and knowing how anal I am about people driving down the road with burnt out head lights drive me nuts. Almost as much as them also driving with their brights on so they don't get pulled over as if that's even legal or no a dick move to everyone else around you. Haha
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0