View Single Post
      03-01-2017, 05:32 PM   #12
AllCarbonEverything
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 Black Sapphire X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge944 View Post
Thanks for the comments. I didn't have an issue with the way my E60 M5 SMG and my 991 GT3 functioned - both of those transmissions didn't have creep, but those are true "automated manuals" with normally aspirated engines on top!

Oh well, you can't have it all!
I think I know exactly what youre talking about. I have an M6 now and awaiting delivery on an X5M. I noticed more recently in my M6 that when in the sportier modes the shifts would hold abnormally long in auto mode at higher speeds. For example I recall doing 85 in 3rd gear with the revs almost at redline and the transmission just wouldnt shift higher on its own. It would also drop into lower gears when accelerating at times. It was really odd. After that I would only use manual mode when in sportier configurations.

From a Standstill the car has so much torque its extremely difficult to make the take off smooth. Its always very abrupt and its hard to keep the rear tires from spinning. If the car wasnt super warm I would experience alot of turbo lag if I had to jam the gas. For example if I was in traffic in a particular lane doing say 5 miles per hour and had to smash the throttle to jump into the other lane, the delay in acceleration was absolute.

So what Im saying is that I dont think its just YOUR car. I think this is just a by product you get with Turbo engines with Dual Clutch transmissions. The shifts themselves are faster than anything else other than a PDK but the negative nuances are also more present. Ive driven PDKs a few times and never experienced the same issues I had with DCT. But I also dont like the porsche 911 styling and none of the other models offer the kind of power the M series has.

I could just be a terrible driver although i think im pretty darn good. And Im not an expert on transmissions or BMW engineering but those are just my experiences.
Appreciate 0