View Single Post
      09-11-2023, 03:56 PM   #291
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Oh I don't know chief, your the self proclaimed oil god, what temp does it take to coke up BMW oil? 450, 500ish degrees? No other engines have oil return lines an inch form two exhaust manifolds wrapped in a heat tomb in the engine valley but hot-vees. You can keep spinning tales about racing in whatever state you like, it matters not. N63/S63 hits temps high enough to burn oil inside the turbo return lines here in AZ. Happened to me, happened to many others in similar desert climates. Ask any SA advisor here in AZ. No airflow stop and go in AZ is murder on these engines, it is what kills them. Name another engine platform that can hit those temps just idling in desert summer heat. You have to dig into racing examples just to find something comparable to what a soccer mom can do in a hot V X5 just picking up the kids on a AZ summer day in bumper to bumper traffic.

PAO doesn't shrink seals? Crap man what are you doing wasting time with me here? You need to to do the right thing and let all the oil manufacturers blending esters to counter how PAO attacks seals is a waste of time and not needed!!! Get the word out man!!

Yep they did the CCP, owner's got another 60-80k then problem came back. Updated valve stems didn't change a thing in the s63/n63tu in F15/F85. As the n63tu's in the F15 are closing in on 80-100+k miles, so many valve stem failures prompted New class action lawsuit, BMW has to do it all over again, replacing the engines on the F15 just like they did on the first gen E70 n63, F85 owners will be left to their own $$$ to take care of it when it starts hitting them as BMW will not apply the coverage to s63tu owners. And hit them it will, same valves and seals. 8K repair bill at your local dealer due to the 40+ hours it takes.

I am not saying with certainty that a PAO base oil is to blame or even accelerating this problem. However something is making these seals fail and the PAO interaction with seals at excessive temps should be explored. I did ask you for data to back up your claim and you gave nothing. Are any seal tests run on PAO oils actually done at 300+ degrees? Valve stems do not sit at a comfortable 220-240 like a crank seal. What is the interaction of a PAO/Ester base at 300F+ against a valve stem seals over the course of 60k miles?

Don't worry, I don't expect you to actually pull up any of the ASTM test criteria to back up your claims, you'll just fire back again with more PAO/God molecule nonsense with no supporting info on the tests and we all need to just take your word for it. I'll do all the work myself and post up what I find after I do the research, good, bad, or ugly.

BTW, I did the math: 30 degrees at 12K altitude = air density at .055 lb/cubic foot. 120 degrees at 1K altitude = .064 lb/cubic foot. Now whats the airflow going through the oil cooler on your race track at 14k & 80F vs standing still oil cooler airflow at 1K and 120F again? I wont even mix in the 150+ degree asphalt heat super heating the air or the fact the air has to go through the air conditioning condenser first before it even hits the radiator. I am just going to assume your race track temps are at 150+ too and you race with the A/C blasting, and your air intake temps are 180F like our underhood temps are in the summer traffic and pretend its cloudy during this theoretical day just to make it even.
Bro, what's up. What are you doing in this forum. I have my 2016 x5m, running good so far, wanted to get a good tune. What do you think?
Appreciate 0