Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Quick update

Took 4 months to repair , half that time was waiting for parts which had to come from Germany (even though car is made in US) and were mis-ordered.

$38,500 to fix it and that is with no mechanical damage. Car really should have been totaled but initial estimate was only $14,000 and then adjusted was $28,000.

It was maybe worth in the low $50s when they got started, but I am guessing this is common as body shops want the business and under estimate initial costs on purpose.

Needless to say our insurance rates doubled but obviously long term we are way ahead vs not having insurance.

X6 parts are crazy expensive
What, what, WHAT? Does your shop want you to come back? You'd think that they'd want to look out for your best interests if they did.

I T-boned a little car in my '12 X6 (not my fault). My opponent's car was pretty much destroyed. I was probably going 40-50 and she pulled out a car length or so in front of me. Besides every air bag in the my car going off and the Diet Coke spillage, the only apparent damage was to my front passenger quarter panel and the windshield. However, if you looked closely, the front passenger tire was now touching the back of the wheel well -- not so good. At the time, the car was a little less that 3y old and worth a little north of $45k.

The insurance company's initial estimate was about $17k to fix. The shop didn't think that the estimate was that bad until I told the guy how fast I was going. He told me to hold off on everything until they could take it apart and do the blueprint. Well, they stopped calculating after the amount hit $35k. Absolutely everything that wheel was connected to, in succession, was broken -- and I had DHP (or whatever we called it then) which seems to make everything cost 2x more.

After I talked to the shop, every single time I talked to someone at the insurance company I said the magical words "diminished value". Since my opponent only carried minimum coverage, my claim had to be handled by my insurance. Since I had new car replacement coverage (thank you Allstate), they bought me a new car (another X6, yes!). If I had been dealing with my opponent's insurance company, I believe that the road may have been harder. Allstate really didn't want to part with the bucks though; I was in a rental more than 30 days waiting for them to cut that check.

If I had actually T-boned her and not faded ever-so-slightly left as PC training taught me, I probably wouldn't have totaled my car, but the other person may be missing some bones instead of her engine compartment going missing. I guess making you do it 8 million times does make it automatic! The high-speed slalom saved me once too (such a weird story and unlikely story).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
barcelona271.00