View Single Post
      03-09-2017, 01:56 PM   #36
FourDoor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_v_o_1 View Post
Don't be discouraged with your vinyl skills. Jobs that look very easy become difficult quickly with reassesses like that bumper. Takes a ridiculous amount of fine dexterity and even more patience. I don't think anyone would charge you very much to do those couple pieces. As long as the vinyl you have isn't from eBay, the installer should be able to use it.
Hydro dipping would work as well but with CF I wouldn't attempt to do it at home as the pattern stretches and looks terrible (if not done perfectly)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
OMG, redo that wrap. Take your time use more materials on those edges and make the cut on the vinyl AFTER you tuck/fold it under the panel. Also, even with such small pieces, you need a 2nd hand. Get your wife to hold the vinyl or the pieces while you do the stretching and heat gun. If you stretch you need to do it uniformly, and there's no way you can do without having someone else hold the piece and vinyl down for you.

Your kid's friends would totally make fun of the poor vinyl job.

Agreed with guy above on not using patterned vinyl on large panels b/c you need to stretch and fold the vinyl. Patterned vinyl would be more seamless on smaller trim pieces or large flat square pieces, but definitely not panels like bumpers with many bends and curves. That mirror cap probably can be done better if you use a 2nd hand. IMO, redo the hood too

I ripped the wrap off the mirror right after I took that pic. I was so frustrated trying to get the curves to stretch out that I just said screw it and gave up and tried wrapping the flattest piece I had which were the window trims. The window trims were much better but I still had issues with the curved corners. I ripped that wrap off too after taking pics. Also the chrome paint was peeling off some so I think I may need to scuff up the chrome pieces to make sure everything sticks right.

Yes having extra hands would have helped out a lot. Even one extra hand to use the blow dryer to heat it up the vinyl would have been helpful. I didn't take out the heat gun in fear of melting the plastic pieces. LOL

I'll maybe give it one more shot tonight just for my own amusement but after looking at this rear diffuser either a highly skilled expert or hydro dipping will be the only answer.

Also what about the hood? Are you saying do the whole hood in CF?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0