View Single Post
      11-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwitt View Post
It's one of my favorite options and works very well. I don't think I've heard one person say they didn't like it.
There are quite a few people who don't like it as much as they thought they would, including myself.

I would never get it again because I never use it. You have to have confidence that the tech will not malfunction otherwise you will rear end the car in front. If you look at the manual and the warnings/limitations it becomes sobering as to what this tech can and cannot be expected to do.

When in use, I spend so much energy and focus to make sure that it is working properly that I cannot relax and enjoy the tech. It is just easier to let my own body control the car. However there are many who love the option and even use it in instances that are not endorsed by BMW (see the manual/warnings).

You also have to watch yourself about over-relying on the tech because if no one is in front of you and you approach a red light you better snap yourself out of the day dreaming otherwise you'll blow right through the red. Some people have an easier time with confidence in the tech without constant monitoring that it is stopping the car making you a nervous wreck for the sake of using ACC because it is there and paid for. And some people have an easier time being aware enough, even after being a cool cucumber allowing ACC to do its thing, to realize which situation needs your attention.

Personally, my mind and body can relax while driving with normal, manual braking. I just can't relax with ACC and if I did I might lull myself into blowing through the red light.

Last edited by Snow-Kidney; 11-04-2014 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0