View Single Post
      01-21-2016, 06:00 PM   #101
BGeorge
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Amazing numbers for sure!
Wish they made the battery bigger...13 miles would barely get me to work.
Me and my wife researched diesel SUVs for about six months and decided on the X5d after the Porsche Cayenne got wrapped up in the VW scandal. We really felt that the X5d was the perfect vehicle for us with the versitility of a 3rd row option, decent fuel efficiency and towing capability, so it was very reluctantly that I decided to go with the 40e and the trade offs that come with it. One of the major factors I took into considerstion when getting the 40e was the claimed EPA 56 mpge. Someone has to show me how they came up with that figure! We've tried driving in all the different modes in city and highway conditions to figure what would be the best formula for getting a decent mpg and we have been able to acheive 25 mpg best so far. It is virtually impossible to charge the battery via driving alone and the vehicle doesn't seem to do a very good job of balacing betweenn gas and electric motors. It seems that if there is any charge in the battery it will run on electric until the batteries are completely drained then switch to the gas engine, which gets horrible mpgs for a 4 cylinder. I'm hoping this is just a factor of the vehicle being new and that it will improve with time. I am still pissed at BMW for not imforming customers that the diesel model is delayed and the specifics as to why it is delayed. It all seems very shady to me.
Appreciate 0