View Single Post
      06-07-2017, 11:07 AM   #178
gregc11514
2011 328xi,2013 535Hyb,2014 328d,2015 X1,2017X5Hyb
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40e

Smile X5 Hybrid So many benefits

I just got my 2017 X5 Hybrid. Yes I work for a BMW dealer.

I have to say this X5 is an excellent drive. There is a definite learning curve in maximizing the electric drive. The performance is acceptable as I have no intention of racing the X5. When the power is needed the electric motor kicks in and between both motors I quickly and easily accelerate to pass or enter a highway.
I don't have the charger installed yet and the only outlet in my house that has enough power to charge is in our kitchen. My wife wasn't thrilled when I ran the superduty bright yellow extension cord through her kitchen, dining room, living room out the window for the first (and last) time. Yes I know i shouldnt be using an extension cord.

I've quickly learned a few things. In ECO mode, no charging takes place. In the other modes using save mode the battery constantly charges as I drive. As I have a 23 mile one way commute all highway, I've learned to charge the battery for the first 2/3rds of my commute and Max Electric for the remainder of my commute. Back and forth I am saving about 17 miles a day in gas. Once I install the charger at my house I will be adding to my fuel savings and using all electric locally. The ride is excellent as I would expect. Comfortable firm ride. The way this truck handles makes it hard to believe its a large SUV.

Last edited by gregc11514; 06-07-2017 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0