08-08-2022, 11:34 AM   #38
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicane_S54 View Post
That doesn't even make sense for 28 inch overall width on a 20" wheel/tire that would be .28 or approximately 1/4 of an inch diff. My OEMs are worn all to shit with at least that much diff and they give me zero drive-train issues.

Not to mention the vehicle hasn't kicked a single DSC or ABS code.
It doesnt matter if you have a 10" tall tire or a 100" tall tire, as long as all four tires are within 1% of eachother the electronics in the car "should" not care (other than your speedo being off). It is simply taking the rotational speed of each corner and comparing them. When one tire has a different overall diameter it will rotate a little slower or faster than the others. THAT is what causes the car to get upset and start triggering traction systems. The car does not know if you have 19's, 20's 22's, all it knows is the rotational speed at each corner.

It may not trigger any codes because it doesn't think there is anything wrong with the system, it just thinks there is wheel slip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicane_S54 View Post
BBS SX's with 275/40R20 Continentals

So that boils down to approximately 1/4" of wear. Could it be the 20" wheels are more sensitive to this difference in wear than the 19's? It looks as though I am looking at getting a new set of tires. What size tires are you running on your 20's.

Are your 20's staggered? When I go to Tire rack when I select tires by vehicle every 20" setup is a staggered setup.
Yes you can run 20's squared. I do and have for years with M Adaptive and DHP, always active, with no issues.

Some tire makes are spot on for their sizes, and some are not. I have seen a lot of people on these forums and in FB groups have issues with brand new conti's that are supposed to be the correct sizes to maintain that 1%. I have never ran conti's because of this.

An old room mate of mine used to manage a Discount Tire. He would often talk about how he could take two tires, same make model and size, and one would be taller than the other once mounted, even with the same lot numbers.

You can try the transfer case calibration and service, it may help, it may not. Won't know until you try.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0