View Single Post
      11-11-2022, 12:29 AM   #81
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM6 View Post
During the fill procedure, when changing between P-R-D-1-2, do the wheels need to be free to rotate, or can the vehicle be on the wheels with your foot on the brake? Based on your post about using drive up ramps, I think they don't need to rotate, but wanted to confirm. Haven't seen this detail mentioned.

From TIS: To set the correct level, it is mandatory that the service function "Transmission control unit: oil adjustment" is performed using the diagnosis system.

Is this essentially the steps you outlined? I haven't hooked up ISTA to see if I can find this procedure yet. Thanks.
According to ZF, it is acceptable to not have the wheels move during the procedure.

I remember reaching out to ZF about the oil adjustment and according to them at the time this was only if there was mechatronic work/transmission repair work done. That was some time ago though, I will reach out to them again to make sure nothing has changed.

BTW, I am now at 183k miles on the original ZF8HP in my E70 still pushing 3.6 second 0-60 times despite loading XHP on it and beating the living piss out of it every chance I get. Its amazing what you can get out of these transmissions with proper maintenance.
Appreciate 3