View Single Post
      12-06-2019, 08:57 AM   #1
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

Oil Drain Plug Spinning - Stripped Oil Pan

Last night wasn't a lot of fun. What was supposed to be a routine oil change turned into a major pain in the ass. When I was attempting to remove the drain plug, the bolt would just spin and place and would not come out. I kept working on it and finally got it out.

I wasn't sure if the bolt was going to be stripped or the oil pan so I ran to Auto Zone first thing this morning and they didn't have the right size bolt. I then ran around the corner to a repair shop that advertises that they repair BMW's to see if they would have one on hand that they would sell.

A black F15 X5 was parked out front which happened to be the owners. I told him what was happening and he said the exact same thing happened to him and it turned out that there was a small crack in his oil pan. He said BMW is aware of this issue. He did not have the bolt on hand so I went to my local BMW dealership to get one.

I got home, started screwing in the bolt and everything was going great. I grabbed the torque wrench and it just wouldn't tighten. I do not have any oil leaks and called my independent mechanic to setup an appointment for Tuesday.

Anyone else with experience with this problem?
Appreciate 0