View Single Post
      08-17-2017, 06:22 PM   #20
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
It does not change springs. Just active sway bars, M adaptive shocks, air rear, and torque splitting differentials
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJer View Post
Called torque vectoring. The vehicle applies more torque to the outside rear wheel when cornering.

"The torque-vectoring differential is why the massive BMW X5 M and X6 M are more ridiculously entertaining than they have any right to be."

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...e-test-feature
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Right, but that's not part of the ZDH package for an X5 50i. You need an X5 M to have that differential...
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJer View Post
?? You asked for more info on the torque splitting diff, that's what I gave you. You can get this diff on any X5, it comes with the dynamic handling package.
I'm questioning whether it's a "torque splitting differential", or whether we're confusing that phrase with a "limited slip real differential".

https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/xmodels/x5.html

Quote:
Dynamic Performance Control: The available Dynamic Performance Control smoothly distributes power between the rear wheels for optimal agility and sporty handling. For instance, when cornering, the outside wheel receives more torque, allowing you to drive “into” curves.
I'm interpreting this to mean that the X5 (non-M) has an open rear differential and is using the rear brakes to "torque vector". Therefore, the differential itself is not determining the torque split between each rear wheel, but rather the brakes (via DSC) is doing so.

That system is vastly inferior to a limited slip rear differentials found as an M Performance LSD or the M differentials found on actual M vehicles. In fact, it's so inferior that it's really not even worth mentioning.
Appreciate 0