View Single Post
      07-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
I have no experience with those strips and their A) ability to protect like they're supposed to and B) do so without looking bad. Presumably since Baunton and Opasha use them, the must look good or at least ok.

If they don't do either of those things well, I would say learn to ignore it, it'll happen again. From a few feet away, you usually don't see the curb rash and if your car is leased, I can say I turned in an '07 X5 with a TON of curb rash and wasn't charged a dime. That was turned in back on 2010, so obviously things can change.. but I'm assuming they considered it normal wear and tear within the limits.
I don't have rim protecters . I was just providing links for some alternative since Alloy Gators are a bit harder to get in the states. I hear they're pretty good, but after my many scuffs years ago, I've dramatically improved my turning and parking; it helps to know/memorize your vehicle's dimensions and where it can and cannot fit. I haven't dented a rim in years since.

However, as Baunton states, they do seem to protect well from all the reviews listed about them. They do blend if you choose the black like Baunton did, but it still is noticeable to me and takes away from the rim finish in my personal opinion. This is why I haven't bothered with them.

Also, the guy in the video review has no color sense, lol. You can't put such a flamboyant color on a silver car and expect it to match/look good. If he was trying to go for something sleek, he should have had a black car with black vossen CV3 rims. That's the only way extreme colors can contrast well and pop out properly without looking ricer. The guy in the video has a nice silver 5 series with machined black CV3 rims - great combo. He should have gotten black rims strips to match his machined black rim rather than trying to match his caliphers. Like I said, it only works if you do it correctly to match the paint of your vehicle or to create a proper contrast effect.

Good look/effect for color strips:

Last edited by opasha; 07-07-2014 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0