Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu001939
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckortane
Is there a technical reason why one side is open and the other closed? I know my 50i is like this but seem to recall the msport 35i having both closed. Visually having both sides open with the aluminum accent strip is preferred just want to ensure performance isn't affected if I opt to order an open intake for the drivers side. (USA spec) to match the open passengers side.
Check out this picture of a X5M.

Both vents in the front bumper are open, and behind it there appears to be some kind of radiator.

So I suppose the reason open and closed vents exist is based on the engine configuration, and who knows, maybe even on general climate of the country where you buy the car (closed in colder regions, open in warm regions ? )
Going to guess that they cover up as much as possible to lower the drag cf, then open as needed for larger intercoolers (5.0, M50d one side and both for X5M).

I imagine the only thing that would suffer from opening the space up would be mileage and top speed... but the difference would likely be negligible.
Appreciate 0