View Single Post
      03-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #13
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Absolutely right. I was just starting college as Facebook was getting very popular, and I had MySpace in high school.

I deleted my Facebook in college after 1 year, and re-activated it a year ago while just limiting my friends to family or relatives that live far away. I took a college class (psychology) that did a study on social media and it was very interesting. The things people would do for validation were crazy. A lot of it transfers over to places like here (online forums) and dating sites.

I remember doing an experiment for that course where we partnered with the mental health clinic on campus and anonymously surveyed people asking if they had dating site accounts and what they saw as a benefit. Many people felt lonely and were just looking for physical contact or relationships but a lot of people were seeking validation. It was very common to see people who were mainly looking to see how many people would match or "wink" at them on these sites, but never follow up.

In college I'd go to bars/parties with a few friends and when chatting with a girl the topic of Facebook would always come up. They would ask for you to add them as a friend. Many do this so they can find out more info about you, who you are friends with, etc. When I told them I didn't have a Facebook, one of two things would happen. The first being they would think it is creepy, and were turned off since they weren't able to instantly access a bunch of info about me, but that rarely happened. Usually it came off as being mysterious/unknown which they found attractive, oddly enough. Instagram was not really a thing back then, and now they ask for that, since both parties can now have access to hundreds of pictures of the other person.
Funny how one becomes an instant outcast when you don't follow the herd of sheep. Almost like being made fun of for being the only person who doesn't pee in a pool. I know people that have many different facebook accounts just in case they get banned......ridiculous! I simply don't need to see click-bait, basic-bish selfies with Starbucks cups and people's dirty laundry that badly.

I'm sure the psyche class experiment with social media was very interesting. I've read several findings stating that social media is destroying our generation. The basic skill of communication has gone wayward due to this. I was amazed at the number of candidates that I have interviewed in the past that simply had no communication or social skills. Some of the things I have seen on resume's left me feeling as there is no hope. We are living in the age of Idocracy. Apparently Mike Judge is a fortune teller.
Appreciate 1
bimmer4562966.00