TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
Hope you guys don't mind me resurrecting an old thread.

For you guys that are using their Ms for towing, can you tell me what towing capacity is for the XMs? From what I can find out online, it is about 6000lb?

I am hoping to tow an aluminum 20' open trailer, with aluminum front air dam. Its weight would be about 1700lbs, and on it, would be my Huracán, which weighs about 3450 lbs. I am thinking I will be fine?

Thanks for your input. I would be loathe to have to purchase a truck just for the three or four times a year that I'd be towing.

Cheers!
The factory electric hitch in Europe is rated up to 7700lb (not sure about the tongue limit). The factory hitch in the US is rated at 6000lb, with a 600lb tongue. It's possible the reason for the difference is that there are different guidelines on the ratio of load to tongue weight between the two, so they don't bother to rate the US hitch any higher. The limit on tongue load is likely a design spec of the vehicle, not the hitch itself.

For those looking at an invisihitch, I nearly got one until I ran across this thread. The last thing I need is my racecar upside down on the highway because a design optimized for cosmetics fails.

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1025750&page=6
Are you referring to the two guys whose hitches failed? I think that the company addressed this problem quickly for them, and also updated the hitches for the X5/X6 with a design with greater structural integrity?