View Single Post
      07-10-2014, 06:50 AM   #19
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383 View Post
Again, there's no fault in your logic, BUT... I have a feeling that BMW thought: "If the tire blows or fails to perform up to certain standards when they drive fast/hard for whatever reason (and our vehicle is capable of doing that, i.e. on a German autobahn) on public roads, we're going to have a shit-storm - very bad publicity and probably some law suits as well. If they crash in the woods or during winter @ 50 km/h... well, they should've bought off-road/winter tires/snow chains then!"
ROFL, great..

And, frankly, I think a lot of this is BMW "image". It's a drivers car (even if it's a diesel truck) and we're going to put the best possible tire on there for people who want to drive hard in good conditions. The stock tires look great, they have an extremely "racy" appearance, and they really do set the truck apart from all the other SUVs out there.

I just wonder how many women buy this truck and have no idea that those "pretty" rims they like so much make it ride harder and have this "tire issue" for anyone who wants to drive in shoulder/snow conditions. I have a feeling that BMW gets a lot of bad word of mouth in the "high brow" mom sect anywhere it snows. "How do you like your X5?". "Oh, its great, but it's terrible in the snow, hubby bought me a car for the winter so I wouldn't have to drive it". That probably "un-sells" a lot more cars than "Oh, it's great, and it can take corners at 1G with my kids in the back, causing their sippy cups to smash directly into the window and leak milk all over the interior; I love it".
Appreciate 0