09-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #20
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTSG View Post
There are two types of collision warning systems, both of which do provide braking. If you have ACC, then it is full collision warning with braking, and it is good at basically all speeds. It uses both the camera system and the radar unit from the ACC, so it can be used at higher speeds. If you do not have ACC, then it is what they term "collision warning with city braking". This will still brake, but because it only uses the camera system, it will only provide braking at lower, city speeds. Up to 35mph, according to the owner's manual.
The video I posted above did not seem to have ACC enabled (or installed), or maybe it just did not indicate it on the dash, but I always thought you'd get those lines to appear on the dash if ACC was on, however he was going 40mph (41 to be exact) when the vehicle stopped or applied brakes. I am a bit curious, though.. How far in advance does it start braking? Most people tailgate in the city and I usually have to watch may back most of the time to avoid getting rear ended, so will this be an issue if the vehicle suddenly applies brakes earlier?

Also, we are certain that with or without ACC but with DAP we will get auto-brake (brake assist) and warning signals, and those can be turned off, right? I wonder if that's what it was on the X5 that I test drove, because suddenly the front camera came on the screen when I came too close to the truck in front of me. I really hope it doesn't automatically do that, enabling park distance without putting the gear in Reverse. (many people complained about it not coming on automatically)
Appreciate 0