View Single Post
      08-10-2017, 05:46 PM   #51
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I didn't realize it wasn't coming at launch. That's a real downer. Amazing how BMW has dragged their feet with a 300hp+ four cylinder engine.
There's actually a lot going on on the UKL drivetrain front. BMW has just done a quiet release for the transverse B38 TU and B48 TU in 18i and 20i tunes, using DCT on the sDrives (the fact that they are TUs is not really advertised, the PR just said "further developed engines"). A little later there'll be the TU for all other UKL gas models, which will now include the U.S. models of both Mini and X1, with DCT also spreading to more models. X2 will actually have a very short initial run of the current drivetrain, and then it will switch to TU (possibly within the first model year), and only then it'll get the M35i version.

The TU is pretty major BTW, even though the numbers are the same or change very little. For example, the engine ECU is completely new.

BTW if anyone's interested, the DCT is this one http://www.getrag.com/en/products/po...0/7dct300.html
Appreciate 0