View Single Post
      10-17-2017, 08:39 PM   #11
MochiEater
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by expidia View Post
Update: ya, these $10.99 blind spot add ons are pretty useless. As Dush said above they make things too small to be useful and actually are probably more dangerous to use as cars are so small they appear very far away yet are closer than I thought they were.
The convex mirrors are not great. But I don't think you've got them positioned optimally.

When I used these convex mirrors, after much trial and error I found the best location for them was not on the distal edge of the side mirror. It was the opposite. I put the small round mirror low on the medial side i.e. the side closer to the driver. Then I angled my side mirrors out as far as they would go so that a car in the adjacent lane would enter my peripheral vision just as it disappeared from the distal edge of the side mirror. I use the regular side mirror and rear view mirror to elminate the blind spots. I used the convex mirror to see the side of the car and anything right next to the car.

Positioned correctly you should not be able to see the side of the car in the side mirrors at all - unless you move your head. Like this:

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...id-blind-spots

The US DOT mirrors suck because drivers have to make a choice: either see the blind spot or see the side of the car. Can't see both.

The Euro mirror are wider angle at the distal edges so drivers can see both the blindspot and the side of the car. The biggest improvement is the driver's side mirror, so if you're only going to get 1, skip the passenger side mirror.
2018 330e - Driver Assistance Plus, Adaptive LED Lights (decoded VLD), Active Blind Spot Detection, ACC Stop & Go, Parking Assistant, Side/Top Cameras, HUD, Comfort Access, 225/45R18 255/40R18 Pirelli Cinturato P7 + Winter Sotozero Serie II
Appreciate 0