01-06-2020, 02:22 PM   #6
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
Anyone have experience with the Continentals vs Pirelli's?
My 14 X5d had Contis - they lasted me 36K miles (with more miles left), but they became more an more noisy after 20k. Noisy as in a whomp whomp whomp whomp. The shoulders of the sidewalls were definitely soft as well and they were prone to feather upwards. That feathering only increased the tire noise going down the road.

My 17 X5d has Pirellis - currently with 24K miles on them and the wear bars are still below the tread-line. They are becoming more noisy, much like the Contis' whomp whomp. The shoulders are, however, much firmer and are not showing the same signs of feathering. In my opinion, the Pirellis handle better and absorb the bumps well.

When I buy tires again in the next 3-5K miles, I will be opting for the Pirellis.

Also worth noting, the Pirellis include a road hazard replacement policy from the manufacturer. I learned about this during my first year of ownership after a piece of metal slashed into my passenger front sidewall. Pirelli sent me, via tire rack, a brand new tire.

Warranty Quote
"If a Run Flat or PNCS tire becomes unserviceable due to road hazard damage within the first year from the date of purchase, or within the first 2/32” of the original usable tread, whichever occurs first, the Pirelli tire will be replaced with an identical or comparable tire at no charge for the tire to the owner"

Last edited by Clifton; 01-06-2020 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0