Rep
Drives: X5 G05 30D MSports

Garage List
2014 BMW 530D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ams3177 View Post
I had a similar situation few weeks back, mine was found during routine service inspection by BMW service technician. As per what they told me, since it is lodged on the outer side of tyre (and not towards the centre) it needs to be replaced and not repaired (or can't be repaired). They also cautioned me to change both tyres (in my case both rears) to reduce the risk of straining XDrive system (due to different tire tread depth and as a result different circumference. I ended up changing both... after all tyre is much cheaper to replace than to deal with drivetrain related faults.
This seems to be a harsh and expensive remedy . What tyre tread depth did you have left as I am half way through mine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ams3177 View Post
I had a similar situation few weeks back, mine was found during routine service inspection by BMW service technician. As per what they told me, since it is lodged on the outer side of tyre (and not towards the centre) it needs to be replaced and not repaired (or can't be repaired). They also cautioned me to change both tyres (in my case both rears) to reduce the risk of straining XDrive system (due to different tire tread depth and as a result different circumference. I ended up changing both... after all tyre is much cheaper to replace than to deal with drivetrain related faults.
This seems to be a harsh and expensive remedy . What tyre tread depth did you have left as I am half way through mine?
I know
I had around 4mm+ left on both them. I did check with one more BMW service centre and their advice was identical
I saw the pic posted by you, mine was in similar position but on a far side rear tyre. I am not sure if in UK we have anyone who can repair runflats. If you do find anyone it will be a good reference to have.
Best of luck
Appreciate 0