SkipSauls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1er View Post
You need to drive the new Cayenne to get a real feel... it really moves! I would say there is no lag in the diesel or at least not really noticeable. Response time when you step on it is almost instant even in regular (non-sport) mode. Porsche uses a turbo setup they call VGT (variable geometry turbo), which is the one they say is responsible of eliminating the lag. I drove the X35D before getting the Cayenne and you can really notice the difference.
The E70 35d has the old M57 engine with a dual turbo setup to reduce lag, one small one for lower revs and a larger one for higher revs. It's not a "twin turbo" despite the TwinPower naming that BMW uses. The F15 35d is using a newer N57 engine, which in reality will be more akin to the ROW 30d with added urea injection for US emissions regulations. This engine uses a single variable geometry turbo, and is likely to be similar to the Cayenne in terms of response and (lack of) lag.

I suspect the Cayenne also gets some of its feel from the 8 speed transmission, while the E70 has been "stuck" with a lowly 6 speed. It appears that BMW developed the N57 with the 8 speed transmissions in mind, but there was no practical way to retrofit the old M57. Some have tried to excuse the E70 35d by claiming that it is perfectly matched to the 6 speed, but there is little doubt that 8 speeds are better, and some manufacturers are gearing up for 9 or more!

One area that I haven't seen covered is the noise that the F15 35d will make, as the diesel clatter is often brought up in comparisons with other diesel SUVs. I have had numerous occupants in my 35d who are amazed when I tell them it's a diesel, as most of them associate diesels with heavy duty trucks and clunkers from the 80's. While I don't mind the engine noise, I "get it" that some would prefer it to be as quiet as the MB, VAG, and Fiat competition.
Appreciate 0